Friday, August 6, 2010

Horse Shopping

There can be no two words more terrifying than 'horse shopping'. Especially when they sneak up on you.

I wasn't really shopping up until yesterday. Sure, I browse dreamhorse.com, equinenow.com, and equimarket.com, but everyone does that. You don't have to be seriously looking to do a bit of window shopping. But it looks like the partner I have been half-leasing isn't quite right, and it's time for someone new. Half-leasing in general doesn't really work for me (I'm a control freak, I'm okay with that), and before I knew it, the words were out of my mouth.

"I was thinking about buying."

Just like that, game on.

This will be the story of one adult amateur looking for the impossible: a reasonably priced prospect for low-level eventing that won't scare the pants off of me or land me in the dirt on a regular basis. Reasonably priced being the sticking point, since I wasn't planning on shopping until spring. Isn't fate funny that way? We are at day 1 of 'Project Find Catie a Horse'. I've already gone through a bottle of antacid.

This is why I bond well with thoroughbreds. I understand problems with ulcers and being nervous in new situations.



I know my Mr. (or Miss.) Right is out there. It's just a matter of how many times I'm going to have to look at the wrong one on the way. I hope my trainer has a better stomach for this stuff than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment