Oh hey, who thought you'd see something from me?
I got the dreaded but somewhat expected email today: 30 days for Theo to vacate. Papi has been out from under my thumb for almost a year and the 'behaviors' have become a problem. He bucked off some kids this winter and got pulled from the lesson program. Since then he's started damaging the stall and bolting with people on the ground. He's bolting with the trainer in the saddle and has had multiple sessions with the behavioral expert on the ground. The ground sessions are not sticking. He knows what he's doing and knows it will work. He's only getting about 3 days a week
He's got their number and he's reverted to old Theo completely.
I have 30 days to find him a new boarding situation and step back into my role of completely managing him. Which is EXACTLY what I was trying to not do. I now have a dangerous, bolting horse that needs to be put back into regular work. I will be getting dragged around and probably thrown off while fixing what's happened. But I can't let him continue to be a dangerous horse. He's starting to mow down people on the ground. My chiro has my neck pain and symptoms under control but I don't know how well that is going to hold up when dealing with Theo bolting and dragging. To say nothing about spinning, bolting, and bucking if I'm in the saddle.
The scramble is on to find a place that will accept him and for me to get a plan together to get him back into work. Hopefully without finishing off my neck. Thank goodness the warmer weather is coming and I'll have a fighting chance. But I haven't been in the saddle in a year. I'm not even in shape for this. I've been riding my bike a lot but that's not the same muscles. I am very genuinely concerned that I won't be able to manage this without injury.
Ideally I can land him with a trainer that can handle him for a month to get through the worst of it. Trainer Z would be my first choice but it's spring and show season is coming on fast. I doubt she has a space. She manages WB stallions and knows Theo well enough that he recognizes her voice. His antics wouldn't rattle her a bit and Theo associates her with serious business time. If that isn't an option, there's a facility that I know that offers training for horses with behavioral issues. They're more working equitation and western dressage focused. That could be an option if, again, they have a spot.
I had a non-horsey summer all planned out with biking events on the weekends since I get my second vaccine shot on the 20th. I'd even considered starting a doctorates in the fall. All of that is now being thrown out the window. I gave them a very nice show horse, I'm getting back a monster. I'm absolutely pissed. I'm about to turn my life inside out to fix what happened and keep Theo from becoming 'that horse' again.
I didn't want this to be how I got back in the saddle.