Sunday, January 13, 2019

The running life

Yup, I still run.  Not nearly the crazy levels I was running for awhile, but enough to keep my cardio up and avoid Theo having the upper hand.  Hoof.  Whatever.

In 2018 I ran around 450 miles and something like 25 races, everything from one mile to a half marathon.

In my team uniform and everything

I made all sorts of friends and learned a lot about being an athlete.  Let me tell you, when Theo has an off or creaky day after a hard work out, I am far more likely to just let it go.  I've had many days with a scheduled work out that got rescheduled for a hip or knee that just did not want to work.  I've learned that prevention really is everything, nutrition is huge, intervals for strength training are not to be rushed, and the right equipment makes a tough thing a bit easier to manage.

My goals for 2019 are a bit different.  2018 was all about learning and trying a little bit of everything.  I did road races, trail races, obstacle races, short runs, long runs, group runs, solo runs, big races, little races, you name it.  I loathe running, so I wanted to find the least awful way to get it done.
My running bff with me for the Snowflake Shuffle 2019 (freaking 17* out)

 I now know that I'm not a really long distance runner.  My knees started to crap out once I was running 8 to 9 mile long runs each weekend.  Ow.  This year, I'm going to stick to 10k or shorter.  I may have that one 10 miler again, but I'll relay it or walk chunks of it.  No more halfs, the body just doesn't tolerate the training.  The actual race was not bad, but the accumulated wear and tear isn't something I want to repeat.

I'm also not a fan of obstacles.  Seriously, how does anyone do any of that nonsense and live to tell the tale?  But I have now actually experienced a friend yelling 'do a barrel roll!' in a non-ironic, non-joking way.  Is that an accomplishment?  I feel like it should be.

I prefer trail races.  I like the challenge of uneven footing, the slower paces, and the scenery.  Something about running through the woods is much more fun and my knees appreciate the break from the pavement.  Down side?  Holy hell the deer flies we get!  So not in deer fly season, but the rest of the year, I want to hit the trails.

I enjoy shorter races where I can get out, knock out my miles, and get my beer.  Because I'm all about the instant gratification.  I got to a sub-30 5k in 2018, I want to aim for a sub-60 10k in 2019.  Interval work and runs that are typically five miles or less should keep the bod happy and the pony on his toes.

Today I tried to give Theo the day off after my 5k and he started rattling and slamming his gate as he realized I was leaving the field without him.  Well, fine then.  You can come out and play.  We played soccer for ten minutes straight with him chasing the ball without my input other than some tricky corners.  I need to buy a Pixio, he's so cute trotting after the ball and shaking his head before giving it a mighty shove.  It gives him an outlet to play and rough house without broncing during our ride.  He was quite well behaved after ten minutes of play time.

Took his braids out to reset them, the long, wavy mane makes him look even more like a Friesian

I still hate running, but the right shoes, company, and rewards makes it bearable.  And being able to kick my pony's butt when necessary is plenty of reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment