Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Redeeming the ratbag

It's really unfortunate that such a cute pony got dubbed Ratbag, but it's been appropriate way too many times.  When his brain breaks and he suddenly gets stuck going backwards and crashes into a beginner lesson, he gets called Ratbag.  It's just the way that works.

Dolce, like most horses, thrives on routine.  Since I've taken him under my wing, he's been put on a schedule where the same thing happens over and over.  I get him out of his paddock, take him to the same cross ties, groom, tack, take him to the ring for work, then back to the cross ties, then back out to his paddock.  Nothing bad happens to him, he gets so many scratches and pets that it's actually kind of enjoyable.  He's starting to think this isn't such a bad deal.

He's still pretty damn sure the entire world is trying to kill him, but he's decided I'm probably the exception to that rule.  He used to shy away when I pet him with a loose rein in my hand because clearly, it was time to beat the pony with the reins.  So I spent quite a bit of time trotting around with loose reins and petting his entire neck.  It's fun to mess up his mane while trotting a figure eight.  He doesn't care anymore.  He also doesn't care about me mucking around with my stirrups, patting his butt, throwing my jacket on his head, etc.

I think he's actually starting to like me.


Took the green bean for a long walk down the road to start getting him road safe.  Cars are not demons from hell, pony.

I dumped his ugly bridle and put the High Jump on him.  Fits him perfectly and is quite flattering on his little face.  Noseband is loose because I'm me, but I did notice him being less evasive with his mouth.  So there's that.  I also swapped him to Theo's spare Verdinbend bit so he would quit laying through my hands.  Yeah, full cheeks are nice for teaching steering, but that fat, single joint bit was making it way too easy for him to get a hold and drag me wherever he wanted to go.  This bit is lovely and he likes to work it with his mouth.  So much drool.  So.  Much.  Drool.  And the more he's thinking, the more he chews and drools.  It's pretty ridiculous.

The tack change was well timed.  When Trainer A surprised me with a request to record my ride for a sales video, the Ratbag was looking very nice.  Trimmed mane and tail, all matching and well fitted tack, and my outfit matched his white saddle pad with blue trim.  There's a reason I go down to the ring like people are watching!  He's still ridiculously fluffy but it's winter in NH, people will hopefully understand.  I'm pretty proud of him in the video.  He looks green but pleasant.  The canter departs are awful but the actual canter looks like something someone could ride.  Walk, trot, canter, reinback, trot over a pole, dodge some beginners in a lesson, it's a pretty good display for the all around pony.  I think we should add video of him walking over the little bridge and being an absolute rock star on the cross ties.

I'm taking Denny Emerson's advice to heart and spending a lot of time walking under saddle while working on correct responses.  One leg, move over.  Two leg, go forward.  None of those cues is for scooting.  Repeat until he just does it without thinking about it.  As he gets comfortable with his routine, he's settling in.  He will now stretch for me in short bursts, can trot around without looking like a giraffe, and canters in something approaching a civilized manner.  It's going to take a bit more time to get that canter depart sorted, but at least it's a quick canter instead of a frantic bolt with his tail clamped down and eyes rolling in terror.  Progress!

Still not my personal cup of tea, but he's making me more confident of my first assessment.  There's a cute, fun all around type pony under the fuzz and ratbag routine.  Hopefully I can keep getting him out as the cold of winter closes in.  We're getting down to 5* for a couple days this week.  Ew.

No comments:

Post a Comment