So there's good news and there's bad news.
The good news: Abby is still dead and Theo is sound again! The vet was out today and it was the first time I've seen Theo since I went away on vacation. We showed the vet Theo's rather messed up heel and he agreed with the farrier's theory that the crack means horn is being pushed into the soft part of his heel when working, which makes him heel sore over time. While he's growing the mess out, he just needs his heel floated. That means there is a small gap between his heel and his shoe on that side. The vet took a quick bit out of his hoof before we trotted him off and Theo was sound as a bell and seemed happy for the attention. The hoof testers showed no soreness in the hoof and the flex test showed nothing in the leg. No heat, no swelling, just one messed up heel that needs some special shoeing while it grows out.
The bad news: The farrier is having some issues at home and has been difficult to get a hold of and even more difficult to get out to the barn. He was out last night and that was his first visit since the last show. I called today to see when he would be available again, and he hopes to be out tomorrow or Sunday. That's the best I can get. With his history of no call/no shows, I don't know when that will be.
I know he's having a hard time with stuff at home right now. I understand. I'm sympathetic. I'm also incredibly frustrated because I can't make any plans or plan to be around when he's out, because I've got a 50/50 shot he'll actually show. With the adjustment from the vet, hopefully Theo can get some work done. He's been out of work for a full week now and he's a bit like a kite on a string to handle. If nothing else, he should be good to lunge without a rider in the indoor with it's fluffy footing. As to my riding plans and my show on the 13th? Up in the air. Again. For shoes.
But I'll focus on the positive. The entire leg was checked out and there's no sign of an injury or reforming abscess. It's minor, transient, and easily managed. We're still on track to put in some fall shows and maybe even do his first three phase in October. I just need some luck with the farrier.