Saturday, July 21, 2018

Niche

I spent a lot of time trying to find a job for Theo that he would enjoy and would be good at.  He likes to jump, but not in strange places or at speed or with a consistent style.  He really doesn't like being in the ring with other hoses or being a pleasure.  He loathes galloping in the open.  He likes the sandbox, he's safe and comfortable in there, but he's not a natural.  He has to work hard to match what the other horses can do very easily.

I've found Theo's niche.

Love him in the royal blue

Western dressage is his niche.  He is a correctly trained dressage horse that is also super chill.  My tests are described as harmonious, fluid, relaxed (SLOW).  In the world of traditional dressage, this is a good thing but is not everything.  In western dressage, being very chill and willing is everything.  In one of my tests today, Theo anticipated and started to canter.  He came right back, he never got tense, and my score barely got tapped.  Our score got tapped much harder when he got tense and braced.

He won his rail class (dressage equitation) and then won both of his tests with a 69.6% and a 69.8%.  He got high point for First Level.  He got lots of compliments on how fluid and relaxed he looked during his tests.  I was mildly disappointed in my performance because I knew I left points in the ring, but that means we still have more upside.  He wasn't naughty, just a bit distracted in the first test and had some less than perfect movements in the second test. 

Less than perfect?  Moi?!

I was genuinely startled to win both tests.  We had some new faces at this show since it was a rated show and they were very nice horses.  There was a mustang I very much wanted to stick in my trailer, his shoulders were amazing.  There was a blue roan QH that was drool worthy.  A buckskin I've been watching all summer was in attendance and laid down a very nice trip.  I looked around warm up and made my peace with the fact I was probably going to get my ass kicked.  Sure, he'd won blues at the schooling shows, but rated shows are different.  He wasn't going to do as well and that was fine.  The first season in a new discipline is all about learning, not winning.  I'd never ridden for an actual western dressage judge.  Missing their expectations would be expected.

That was not what happened.

Honestly never expected to see him like this

My beautiful boy has found his niche.  We are most certainly not quitting traditional dressage, but when you find something your horse is very good at and you enjoy?  You darn well stick with it.

3 comments: