Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Getting old

So I had a whoopsie type fall.  No biggie, right?  Hop up, give the pony a cookie, remount and continue on with my day.

This morning I woke up going 'what the hell did I do yesterday?'. 

Not all of this is fall related.  I continue to up the game on riding with my core and that means a lot of sore muscles.  I'm also cracking down on my dropped left shoulder and collapsed left rib cage.  This means other muscles moving in ways they're not used to.  Screw those Abs of Steel videos, try learning to manage the size of your walk with just your hips.  I figure I'll be bikini ready by the time I hit Third level.  Goals!

But that magnificent bruise on my ass and the corresponding knot of sore, tight muscles?  That's all from my little tumble.  It's right on the butt cheek, just the way I intended to land to prevent any actual injuries.  Lots of padding back there, but now I'm sitting at my desk reconsidering my choice.  It's hard to analyze data without sitting on said bruised ass.  I put a Salon Pas patch on to keep things from tightening up.  Dressage riding is so very glamorous.

Trainer A's comment was that at least it wasn't on my bad hip and maybe this will even me out.  Ha, ha, teach.

Though it might work.  I had a friend with a horse that had a chronic issue in one hoof.  He managed to bruise himself on the other side and suddenly bam, sound!  Well, not sound, but he trotted off even.  It actually helped in the long term to get him straightened out since he moved straight for the first time in ages.  Not that I think me bruising my right side repeatedly is going to fix my crooked position.

Also, skinned elbows are a way bigger nuisance than I remember.  As a kid they were such a standard state of affairs.  Now I'm acutely aware of every time I bump something.  Including the arm of my desk chair. 

Overall, I'm sore and have random tight muscles due to a combination of very demanding body work followed by impacting the ground at about 9mph (assuming a height of about 2 meters up, assuming I was at rest when we started, and assuming gravity works the same in the riding arena as in the rest of the world (9.8 m/s^2)).  That doesn't sound like a lot, but that's still a pretty good bit of force to focus on my ass with that very sudden stop.  I think we need bouncy footing to soak up some of that force. 

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, it's just not the same as when we were younger and bounced. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg your trainers "even you out" comment is oddly hilarious ! Glad you are ok tho!

    ReplyDelete