Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Get fit




Fitness is all the rage right now in eventing. Eventing Nation is talking about it, COTH is talking about it, the USOC is testing the fancy dancy riders on it, and now even I'm talking about it.

I've been plotting out Fiona's fitness plan. She's a TB that develops muscle and fitness just by breathing and chewing (two activities she excels at), so there isn't much to do for a BN level horse. However, I have my eye on some other activities in her future that will require a good bit of fitness: foxhunting and a LD endurance ride. Maybe not this year, but I am committed to having her try both. This will require her to be fit enough to handle hours of riding without getting tired enough to make a mistake or hurt herself. Anyone that owns a TB will agree that being a touch tired is a lovely thing. That's when the brains turn on.

Along with Fiona's fitness plan came mine. I will come right out and say it. I'm overweight. There, I said it. It's kind of liberating. I have 30 pounds I need to get rid of in order to be the best athlete possible. With that in mind, I have a gym membership. I am getting back into the habit of hitting the weights and taking classes. I lifted weights in high school and when I was doing martial arts, so it's not a hard habit for me to keep up. I'm particularly fond of my Zumba class. Anyone wants a good laugh, go take one of those. There are ladies in there older than my mother learning how to shake their ass. It's amazing. And everyone is laughing too hard to comment that there is plenty of jiggling going on with my own keister.

The yoga class is far less amusing. My feet are too far away. I must have some sort of genetic flaw that makes my feet stay just out of reach no matter what I do. My hamstrings hate me, and the feeling is mutual. It's been good for my posture, though. Each week I get a little closer to being able to lay down with my entire back touching the floor. This should help with my hunter princess perch and maybe get me some better rider position marks. I did find out I'm very good at the balance poses. Go figure.

I'm sitting on my couch, munching an apple and trying to ignore all the little aches and pains by concentrating on that feeling of accomplishment. I have a lesson tonight with the guest instructor for the winter, and I'm looking forward to it. The princess has been making great progress, but she's still a complete handful. Additional opinions are always welcome.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray fitness! It's amazing how much better I ride now that I'm working out. Love it.

    ReplyDelete